How to treat bad breath
I’ve recently quit smoking after 10 years, I’m over the moon with my progress but now that my ability to smell has come back, I have started to become conscious of my bad breath!
You see before I was a smoker, so my breath smelt like a smoker’s, which obviously was terrible for others…but I couldn’t smell it so I had no idea! Now I can smell more, I am finding myself constantly reaching for gum! So annoying and unproffesional when I’m at work! I’m tired of chewing gum all day and it’s not helping my TMJ problem I have either, so I’ve decided to do a little research.
- Firstly avoid or cut down on strong spices like garlic, chilli and onions. These like to linger and it can be hard to shift the smell.
- Avoid or cut down on coffee, beer, wine and whisky. These can attach to the plaque in your mouth and effect your digestive system which can then lead to bad breath.
- Avoid certain fish before a meeting as many leave a strong smell behind- especially tuna! Also oily meats such as salami can do the same.
- Cheese- I love cheese and find this one so difficult! Avoid the strong and mature cheeses before a meeting, especially camembert and blue cheese- avoid these at all costs!
- Drink and eat regularly, I notice I get really bad breath when I haven’t eaten, usually when I’m shopping and I “forget to eat” LOL!
- Carry a toothbrush and brush after meals. Don’t forget to also brush your tongue as this is where a lot of the bacteria gets stuck.
- Parsley! If you follow my posts often you will know how much I recommend parsley! Honestly it’s great for most issues and now it can also help freshen your bad breath! Is there nothing parsley cannot fix!
- Gargle mouthwash, gargling after meals can really help reduce bad smelling bacteria from building up and it leaves you with a lovely fresh taste.
- Have a mint or chew gum.
If you know of any tips for bad breath that you would like to share please comment below!